Anyway, the next week Meghan moved into this tiny dorm room with me, and has been staying in Vienna ever since! She is basically a Viennese citizen by now because she helps people with strollers and she is really into kaiserdogs. The first day she was here we went into serious tourist mode and saw St. Stephan's Cathedral and got accosted by the Opera hounds, and we sat at a window overlooking Stephansplatz at the oh-so-pink Aida and had some yum yum cake.
Following the grand tradition of my life, boring everyone I know with nonsense about art and art-related frivolity, I took her to my Art Theory class' tour of some galleries around Vienna, which I had to admit, were less than impressive. Afterwords we went with some other people to lunch at this cute cute vegetarian restaurant and then to the Kunsthaus. More on this goofy building later.
This last weekend with my birthday weekend celebrations! Devin, Jess, Sarah, Nick, Meghan and I went to Prague for a day and a half, but really it felt like two hours. We ate Mexican, we took a three-hour walking tour and fell in love with the guide, Justin, what a DREAMBOAT (ish). There was a music festival going on while we were there too, so we saw a guy that I've seen play in the states a couple times and danced our hearts out. There are actually young people in Prague! Who like good music! Weird.
After a quick Sauna Club meeting we travelled home and stopped by the Prater for some giant garlic bread, a ferris wheel ride, and got swindled by some game stops... BUT the next day was my birthday! It was also the day I got so so sick I couldn't breathe and cursed all of the pollen in the world and declared it my mortal enemy. We went to the Naschmarkt and bought ingredients for a feast and made a great curry stirfry but about an hour later I passed out. I'm a wild one.
BUUUTTTTT the next day Mom and Dad got here and it's been non-stop since! Devin is filming a movie as a final for his Video 2 class, starring Jess as an unsuspecting visitor to a cult member (me). So Tuesday after class, Mom and Dad and I went to the Hunderwasser Kunsthaus (main point of the place: straight lines are ungodly), and they, being the generous souls that they are, took me and a bunch of my pals out to dinner and ordered things that we had no idea what to expect from. Surprisingly awesome for how surprisingly bad we all are at German! Then we proceeded to shoot Devin's movie until 2 a.m., and everyone had to put up with me being sick and grumpy and coughing up crap every five seconds.
Yesterday after class Meghan and I met Mom and Dad to check out the Schoenbrunn palace, summer home of the Habsburgs. They were all pretty ugly and crazy, with the exception of Sisi, who was pretty but, alas, also crazy. It supposedly is the only palace to rival Versailles, but I was most impressed with the gardens. It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland with all of its meticulously groomed trees and hedges. We had some gelato, we toured my magnificent school (only school to rival the Schoenbrunn), and walked out by the river across the street from Webster. It's my favorite part about going to Uni there, the water is so clear and you can see the UN building and there's nearly always some hippie drum circle around.
Last night M+D took Meghan and I out to one of Rick Steve's recommended Italian restaurants on one of the hidden sidestreets of Stephansplatz, and he was so so right (he always is, apparently). We were all stuffed and rosy afterwords, and while Mom and Dad got to go home and go to bed, Meghan and I worked on the movie with everybody until 2 again. It was all shot in the sauna (are you even suprised?), as the cult in the movie is based on water. I think it's going to be really cool, and I hope when Devin becomes a famous filmmaker people will look back on this movie and say, "whaaaattttt?????"
So here I am on Thursday, trying to get this weekend figured out right so I can go to Salzburg with Mom and Dad. Meghan just left for Budapest and Devin and Jess and I need to finish shooting. Along with homework and printing, its going to be a busy busy day!
so here we have: St. Stephansdome, the river by Webster that I hung out by on my very very exciting birthday, our first night in Prage by the St. Charles' bridge, and Jess with the largest piece of fried bread Austria can get you
I want to be there with you and M&D! I'm literally crying right now - how pathetic. Please hug me for a million years when we meet in Madrid.
ReplyDeleteCarly - we leave for Portland on Monday so I'll let you know if they really do have cool hair-dos there. Since that is apparently the definition of hip. And what a shock to learn that Prague has young people!!! Who knew?!?! Seriously, I'm enjoying your blog and hope you made it to Salzburg with your M&D. Did you dance around the fountain singing "Do Re Mi"? (I did 32 years ago! I have the pix to prove it!)
ReplyDeleteErin, we wish you were here too! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteWe did go to Salzburg Aunt Beck- it is so beautiful there! The hills really were alive and green green green.
ReplyDeleteThere was no singing (I think Mom has matured or something since 30 thirty years ago... what is that about?) but we did find the 24 hour Sound of Music channel on TV. Ridiculous.