Thursday, April 1, 2010

Budabest, Fungary

I am so so sore right now-my body cannot handle of this physical activity! There is a rock climbing room in my dormitory, and two days after crawling all over the walls I am still aching all over. It's seems like all I ever do is walk, walk, walk everywhere, but I am totally okay with it when I get to someplace like this:That building on the left is a supermarket! Our hostel was on the main drag of Budapest, which was awesome. Every building is so old and elaborate-looking. We left Saturday morning and after a confusing (and expensive) cab drive downtown we wandered around and found an underground labyrinth! They give you lanterns and let you wander around, where there were a tons of wells and rock sculptures and fake fossils (the fossil of the computer keyboard was probably the best and obviously the most realistic). The next day we found a really cool market and bought some clay bird necklaces that whistled and Devin bought a pretty crazy looking flute. We played our new instruments all day and it made us several friends and a couple enemies. After a boat tour and a million more miles walking around we headed home Sunday night. About four very stressful hours later (taking wrong buses, almost missing the train and a really traumatic train ride) we got back to the dorms.So there is Jessica is in a really cute bonnet at a tourist trap shop, a picture of the view from the window of our hostel, and a weird picture from inside the cave labyrinth. This whole renting a camera dig is pretty cool.
Anyway, today we went to a rotating ice cream shop cafe thing on top of a radio tower inside Donau Park. Really pretty views, you could see where we lived and the school and the Sports Island (it sounds like exactly what you think- an island where a lot of people play sports). I am falling in love with this city, I even wrote it a love song. Not a good love song, mind you, but it did rhyme the words "city" and "pretty" at some point.
Tonight- more rock climbing and Sauna Club, tomorrow I start my printmaking class (!), Saturday there is an HUGE Easter festival in front of one of the palaces downtown with markets and Easter jollity all round, and Sunday we're taking a day trip to Bratislava. Actually I'm supposed to be researching what to do there right now- so I better get on that.

P.S. Happy April Fool's Day! I put stickers all over unsuspecting people on the U-Bahn today.

P.S.S. For any of those out there who care about how I'm doing in school (shoutout- Mom and Dad), my Art Theory teacher was so into a film review I wrote that she printed it out and made the whole class read it and bask in its film-reviewy glory. I am the only native-English speaker in the class, though, so that dampened my ego a bit. She said when we start writing our art critiques, she'll submit the best one and submit it to the Vienna Review! I don't know exactly what the Vienna Review is, but it sounds official. So, cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment